Thursday, July 5, 2012

Debby was a Downer :-)



Well vacation didn’t go quite as planned. During the drive to Cape San Blas, Florida, we started getting reports that a tropical storm (Debby) would possible be on its way. During those initial reports however, the prevailing thought was that it would be heading towards Texas. Shortly after we arrived though, they had changed the projected path and we were right in the middle of it! We were able to get some beach time during the first evening there for about an hour and a half before a torrential downpour came. We went to bed that night hoping that the storm’s path would change…
Alas, it was not meant to be. By the next morning, the winds were a sustained 30-50 miles per hour and the rain was relentless. We had to stay in our beach house the entirety of the next day. Our area picked up 8 inches that night!! With the eye of the storm still about 20 hours away from landfall, it was becoming apparent that our vacation might have to be cut short – after only a day and a half.
The decision ended up being made for us, as the entire cape was evacuated the next morning. We were pretty discouraged but thankfully we were all safe so that’s what matters. On the bright side, I can now say that I was in a tropical storm – how cool!!!

16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your vacation got cut short! To be honest, if it wasn't official decree to evacuate, I'd stay. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry your vacation didn't end up being what you planned. But what a cool attitude! Yes, you are a storm veteran, and you have stories to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'd rather trade storm veteran for beach bum status. So sorry your holiday didn't happen. I was looking forward to a photo or two...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is crazy! Glad your safe! :) Happy late fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so sad! I'm so sorry you missed your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's intense. My coworkers Dad lives there and he was saying how bad it was. Pretty cool that you did get to see it! It sounds crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your attitude, Keith! Great to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OE,

    Sorry to read that your holiday was not the break that you had probably hoped for.
    While I am writing this comment to you, the heavens have opened with torrential rain. This has been the pattern of weather here in England for months. Summer has not arrived at all. We are very disappointed:(
    I am happier though, as I leave to go on holiday to Spain on Saturday morning and expect to find the sun!!!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welp, check that off the list. Glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome home, Keith...and back to blogland! Yeah...Mother Nature often has her own plans regardless of your vacation schedule ;-( Glad your safe...something tells me you got some good storm shots. Hope you'll post them...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, so happy that you are safe. I wonder why your holiday was taken away from you like that - perhaps there is another holiday you are meant to go on. I have no holiday plans for a long while. I was going to live vicariously through you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least you're safe! Sounds like a good adventure. Sorry you're vacation plans were changed for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had some excitement during your trip! That would be an experience to live through. At least you are all safe and sound, though! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes! I'm so sorry that happened. I know you were looking forward to that vacation. Hope you got some relaxation somewhere else.

    I was in Tampa when it hit, picking up my boys and we drove home through it. It was so windy and rainy it was a scary drive all the way from Tampa to Statesboro, GA. That made for a long haul!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no, i'm sorry about that but exactly like you said, you have a new experience! I personally find the tropical storm much more interesting than the beach! haha :)

    ReplyDelete